The Markham Family Health Team Prenatal Program was designed with two types of patients in mind:
1) Women who will receive prenatal care at Markham FHT and,
2) Newborns to 4 weeks of age receiving care at Markham FHT.
Joining Drs Dana Abenstein, Tom Filosa and Jeff Weissberger is a dynamic team of allied health professionals: nurses, nurse practitioners, pharmacist and registered dieticians.
Our program hopes to enhance your prenatal and postpartum experience by providing you with educational tools, support, and as always, unparalleled care.
If you are a prenatal patient, your doctor or nurse practitioner will introduce you to our program at your first prenatal visit. Mothers of newborns will get this information at your baby’s first “well baby” check-up.
Elements of the Prenatal Program include:
• Regular prenatal visits with your doctor or nurse practitioner.
• Tele-triage contact with a registered nurse to address your questions/concerns.
• Access to our pharmacist as necessary for questions about medications that are safe in pregnancy, vitamin supplements, etc.
• Access to our registered dieticians as necessary for patients concerned about their nutritional health in pregnancy and while breast feeding.
• Assistance with breast feeding technique offered by our registered nurses.
• Access to information on prenatal classes, parenting classes, car seat safety, etc., available on our website.
Handouts for our Patients:
The above handouts were created for your reference. If you have any questions please feel free to contact the nurse or speak to your doctor.
External Prenatal Links:
Car Seat Safety:
Due Date Calculator:
Nutrition in Pregnancy:
Newborn and Child Development:
Post Partum Depression:
York Region Phone: 1-800-361-5653
Durham Region Phone: 1-800-841-2729
Toronto Public Health Phone: 416-338-7600
SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome):
Telehealth Ontario Phone: 1-866-797-0000
Government Related Sites:
Don’t have a PDF Viewer? Click here.
Looking forward to working with you!