Operation Christmas Child
Operation Christmas Child is a division of Samaritans Purse which offers international relief in 3rd world and developing countries. Canadians are able to bless the lives of children living in the developing world by packing gift filled shoeboxes with a variety of toys, school supplies and hygiene items.
Since 1993, over 100 million children worldwide have been the joyful recipients of simple, gift-filled shoeboxes. Samaritan’s Purse often discovers other community needs and has helped families access clean water, sustainable food, education, and more!
How it works
Each shoebox is filled by Canadians with hygiene items, school supplies, toys, and candy, and is given to children regardless of gender, race, or religion.
What’s been done?
Operation Christmas Child has collected and distributed over 100 million shoebox gifts worldwide. In 2013, Canadians donated more than 664,000 Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes for children around the world, and the Markham Family Health Team is proud to have filled 150 of those boxes through staff, families and our friends.
Where Do I start?
- Use a regular-sized shoe box, shoebox-sized plastic box or stop by 122 Cornell Park Ave location and pick up a shoebox.
- Determine whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the child’s age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14.
- Fill your Shoebox with a well-balanced variety of items from the following categories:
- School Supplies – Items such as pencils, pens, pencil crayons, note pads, and picture books
- Toys & Other Gifts – Items such as stuffed animals, small musical instruments, hair clips, toy jewelry, t-shirts, socks, and candy (loose, individually wrapped hard candy in a saleable bag)
- Hygiene Items – Please place soap in a sealable bag
- Personal Note – Include a personal note and/or a photo in your shoebox (not inside the donation envelope)
- Please donate a minimum of $7 for each shoebox you prepare to help cover project costs–including shipping. Please make one combined donation for multiple shoeboxes.
For more information on how you can help, or to pack a shoebox online visit the Samaritan’s Purse website: