March is Nutrition Month! This year’s theme is: ‘Take the Fight out of Food: Spot the Problem, Get the Facts, Seek Support’.
Did you know, almost half (49%) of Canadians get their food and nutrition information from the Internet, social media or blogs and this is on the rise? Unfortunately, not all nutrition advice found online is accurate.
Call centre Dietitians at Eat Right Ontario and HealthLink BC identified these five topics as the most frequently asked about:
- Food Fads: Ugh! How do I know which nutrition information to trust?
- Digestive Woes: Eek! What’s causing all this gas?
- Picky Eating: Grr! Why is family mealtime such mayhem?
- Eating and Stress: Help! Why do I always turn to food when I’m stressed?
- Managing a Condition (eg. diabetes): Sigh! How can I manage my diabetes?
Registered Dietitians can help take the fight out of food by supporting you with reliable information, advice, and more. The Dietitians at the Markham Family Health Team offer individual nutrition counselling, and provide group education sessions like Heart Smart, Diabetes Conversation Maps™, and the Group Lifestyle Balance Program. If you have a nutrition concern, talk to your doctor about a referral to see a Registered Dietitian.
To celebrate nutrition month, our Dietitians, Andrea, Karen, and Rebecca, have developed an educational display in the waiting rooms of all three MFHT locations. Come and learn about nutrition, take some handouts, and fill out a ballot to win a ‘Mediterranean Diet’ gift basket!